Saturday, March 19, 2005

The fine line


There's a fine line between hobby and obsession. I had a running start, and I hurdled that line like an Olympian.

When St. Martha of Nutley strolled out of prison on March 4th, I was captivated by the poncho she wore. I did a google search but couldn't find any poncho patterns which replicated the poncho.

A few days later, my sweet husband returned from a one year assignment in South Korea, and the poncho was forgotten.
On Monday, while cleaning out the junk mail folder of my hotmail account, I spied an email from the Mary Maxim company announcing the arrival of the Martha poncho kit. It appears that I was not the only one obsessed intrigued by this new garment. Mary Maxim was deluged by requests for the pattern. So, too, was Lion Brand yarn.

Off to market I traipsed for four skeins of Lion Brand Homespun and a 9 mm crochet hook. A few hours of obsessive crafting later, and voila! I was part of the leading edge of a cultural phenomenon. Yes, I've already started to make another poncho. Don't look at me like that. Posted by Hello

No comments: