Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'll leave the title of this post to your imagination

I spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with other people's poop.

That's not a metaphor. Most of my patients take heavy-duty narcotics like OxyContin and Percocet, which can cause constipation. This, in turn, not only causes grumpiness and added discomfort, but can lead to paralytic ileus if not caught in time. The physician overseeing our patients' care is extraordinarily attentive to the state of the everyone's bowels, and it is best to be on top of the shituation when she makes her rounds. Failure to have this information at one's fingertips can cause certain substances to hit the fan. Therefore, I don't take poop for granted.

What I have taken for granted, is that everyone has a safe and hygienic place to take care of business. This morning, on BoingBoing, I read about an initiative to bring what I believe is a fundamental human right and necessity to the low-caste girls studying at the Pardada Pardadi School, in Uttar Pradesh, India. A small amount of money will make a huge difference in the lives of these girls. I hope you will check this out!

1 comment:

Pardada Pardadi Educational Society said...

Thank you for publicizing the toilet fundraiser!

For more information on Pardada Pardadi Educational Society, please visit: education4change.org or pardada-pardadi.blogspot.com.