Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Challenge of the day

Gentle readers, (at least, those who are optically challenged!)

How many old pairs of glasses are you holding on to? If you're like me, you probably have a couple of spare pairs just in case something happens to your current pair. And if you're like me, nothing catastrophic has happened to your spectacles since you lost your first pair 25 years ago and learned a valuable lesson in responsibility.

Those old glasses could be put to better use. The World Health Organization released the results of a study today, which indicates that glasses could help end the cycle of poverty for millions of people in low to middle income countries.

The Lion's Club collects old eyeglasses, cleans and repairs them, and re-distributes them to people in need.

My challenge of the day is for all 5 readers of this blog to gather up their old spectacles and bring them to the nearest eyeglass recycling centre.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Alright,alright, already... :)

I've had all our old glasses in a box ready to go for about a year now. I'm going to put them in my car tonight so the next time I see a drop box I'll be able to grab them.

Anonymous said...

we do that on a regular basic, but thanks for the reminder.

RBC and AEC

HQ said...

Rose, there are more than 5.
Both Marie & I do that.

Anonymous said...

I have done it in the past, and I think I only have one spare pair around the house, 'just in case'. Thanks for the reminder.