Saturday, February 16, 2008

Now I've seen everything!

The topic of conversation over this morning's coffee was the Wedding Industrial Complex. Sigh.

My husband's little brother recently got engaged to a nice New Joysee Italian girl. The current proposed budget for these impeding nuptials is .. well, let's just say it's about twice as much as I plan to spend on my next vehicle. It's somewhere between ouch and bo-oy-oy-ng.

Over the course of the conversation, we lamented the sense of entitlement that seems to be pervasive in our culture these days, as evidenced by the hors-de-control bridal registries that we've been invited to peruse lately. I resent being manipulated into buying a $75 crockpot for some distant relation that I've met once.

On that note, I went to post to run a few errands. As I was breezing through the PX, I came across this ridiculous item.

An electric martini maker.

One hundred dollars for an electric martini maker.

Just how lazy does one have to be, to have a machine shake the vodka?

If it wasn't so early in the day, I'd feel compelled to make myself a martini with my own two hands, sip it slowly, and lament the conspicuous consumption of this age.

And if M&C put such a ridiculous item on their wedding registry, I will disown them at once!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Grandpa M would not have considered that too early!