Sunday, February 13, 2005

Back to some seriously frivolous blogging

My daily internet rounds include the three major New York City newspapers. Generally, I skim through the headlines, stopping only to read the Post's more outrageous articles, the wedding announcements in the Times (don't ask me why, I don't know from whence this addiction came) and Paul Krugman's columns.

So, I was vaguely aware of this "art project" called The Gates. I had not read any articles about the subject, and had only acquired some vague notions of "saffron" and "$21 million." Shrug. New York City. Whatever. I've been to NYC once, and have absolutely no intention of returning. How and why my in-laws commute 2+ hours each way into Manhattan, five days a week, is one of those great imponderables. But I digress.

Keith Olbermann, a.k.a. MSNBC's "Bloggerman" lives across from Central Park, and has formed a strong opinion about this particular piece of work. This piece has launched a series of imponderables for me.

What kind of country do we live in, when $21 MILLION DOLLARS can be spent on 7,500 pieces of "saffron" fabric that will flutter for only two weeks before being taken down? In my part of the country, people have to hold chicken bbq's to pay for their cancer treatments. Twenty-one million for fluttering saffron? WTF? What are they going to do with these monstrosities after they have been removed?

I guess I'm just a philistine, too.

No comments: