Tuesday, February 08, 2005

M.Y.O.B.

Now that Dr. Dobson and his ilk have rescued my family from the likes of Spongebob, it seems that Right-wing Christian Americans have turned their attention to political issues north of the 49th parallel - namely, same sex marriage.

Yup, our fine feathered red state friends have taken to telephoning MPs to tell them how to vote on the proposed Civil Marriage Act.

It goes beyond a few phone calls. Some serious US dollars are being spent on this issue. The Knights of Columbus in the United states spent $80,782 for two million postcards being distributed in Catholic churches across Canada. Now, I have a soft spot in my heart for the KOC. As a Grand Knight, my late Uncle Cecil started a great service in Brampton. The banner quote on The Knight's Table website reduces me to tears each time I think of it: "Peter, if you love me .. feed my sheep." So many poor and hungry people could be fed for $80,782. Obviously, the single men running around in purple robes have solved that problem, and all the other problems facing the Catholic Church, and now must protect tolerant Canadians from themselves, eh?

Here's a news flash. Canadians define themselves not so much by who they are, but by who they aren't ~ namely, Americans. So, please, keep those cards and phone calls a'coming. Reverse psychology is a great thing.

No comments: