Sunday, July 10, 2005

Embarrassing?

I have recently added nealenews.com to my daily internet rounds. This Neale person is a Canuck Drudge wannabe. It's a pretty interesting site.
The dominant link this afternoon goes to Hartley Steward's column in the Toronto Sun. Mr. Steward lambastes Prime Minister Martin's interactions and photo ops with Bono at the G8 summit, calling the "PM's fawning over Bono embarrassing."
Unlike Mr. Steward, I believe that it can be appropriate for celebrities to use their fame in order to bring social issues into the spotlight. Bono is articulate, passionate, and possesses a deep understanding of African issues.
What confounds me, what compels me to blog, is Bono's attire and demeanour during the aforementioned photo op. Bono, my darling, you know I love you. I, too, would be fawning over you like a maniac, given the opportunity. But what the hell are you wearing? The scruffy, who-cares-about-hygiene look works for concerts, but while meeting with world leaders, a razor and some shampoo are your friends. You do clean up quite nicely, blending hipness with decorum without selling out to the man. Time to fire your stylist, honey.

No comments: