Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What's lurking in the garden ..

When I planted my vegetable garden this year, I was feeling a little frisky. I made raised beds, worked some sphagnum and an organic humus/manure mixture into the clay, and got busy. I decided to try a little companion planting in some of the beds: corn, snow peas, and various types of squash and pumpkins. The corn has shot right up, the pumpkin vines are growing like mutant creatures, and we're enjoying snow peas every day. The zucchini plants, while thriving, seemed to be the shy and understated members of the club. Mwahahahahaha! Look what I found today, lurking beneath the corn stalks:



And what goes with zucchini? Chocolate, of course!



Incidentally, August 8th is Sneak some zucchini onto your neighbour's porch night. Citizens of the North Country, you have been warned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose! Just taking a break at work and checked out what you were thinking lately. Just wanted to let you know that we grew zucchini for a number of years on the farm and we literally had to pick the stuff twice a day to keep up with it. Sometimes we would get baseball bat size ones!!
Paula