Thursday, December 08, 2005

I say again: Short stature is NOT a disease!

This has me spitting nails, so cover your kneecaps!

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The drug tamoxifen, usually used to treat or prevent breast cancer, may help short boys attain a normal adult height, researchers report.

Final body height is determined when the skeleton reaches maturity, and tamoxifen decreases the rate of skeletal maturation, according to study findings reported in the medical journal Pediatrics.

"Our results suggest that tamoxifen may improve height potential in pubertal boys with short stature," lead investigator Dr. Nerissa C. Kreher told Reuters Health.


I'm 4'11". My husband is 5'7". We're not expecting our son to go to university on a basketball scholarship.

There is nothing wrong with being short. There is nothing wrong with being tall. There is no need for big pharma to be creating a new "disease" to be treated with a powerful cancer drug. It smacks of eugenics to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree!! Short stature is not a disease, nor should it be fixed. There are some tasks in life that require height, and some that require the increased maneuverability that only comes from a shorter stature. One task is cleaning out the boiler or smokestack onboard a ship. Although it is very important, it is not a glamourous job, but the tall people just aren't suited for it. The short statured people save the day!

We NEED people of different stature. I will however add that I don't disagree with the situation where someone is of a very short stature and they decide that they will have a better life if they were a bit taller. I saw a tv show where a female teenager had her leg bones stretched over a period of years, and it didn't seem wrong, because she was the one to decide that she needed and wanted it.

Anonymous said...

I think Spud Webb was just 5'7". Anything is possible!! LOL!