Thursday, January 20, 2005

Don't let the facts weigh you down, Dr. Dobson

First, they slandered Tinky Winky. I said nothing because, well, Jerry Falwell is just so ridiculous to start with, and when my son watched Teletubbies, he could not yet identify any colours or shapes, let alone understand that a purple triangle had any political significance.

Now, Dr. James C. Dobson is impugning Spongebob's character. Spongebob, and many other imaginary characters will appear in a new music video entitled, We Are Family. Dr. Dobson has denounced this collaboration as a "pro-homosexual video."

The video will be released to schools on March 11th, in celebration and anticipation of the proposed National Family Day. The video makes no mention of homosexuality, although it does have a tie-in to the Tolerance Pledge, which goes like this:

"Tolerance is a personal decision that comes from a belief that every person is a treasure. I believe that America's diversity is its strength. I also recognize that ignorance, insensitivity and bigotry can turn that diversity into a source of prejudice and discrimination.

To help keep diversity a wellspring of strength and make America a better place for all, I pledge to have respect for people whose abilities, beliefs, culture, race, sexual identity or other characteristics are different from my own."


Shiver me timbers!!!! The pledge sounds remarkably like the take-home message that I got from reading about the life and times of a man named Jesus Christ.

Nile Rodgers, who co-wrote "We Are Family" (you're dancing in your seat now, aren't you?) and founded the We Are Family Foundation, says that "cooperation and unity are the most important values we can teach children. We believe that this is the essential first step to loving thy neighbor." Again, this is ringing a bell for me.

True to form, the foundation is showing tolerance and giving the benefit of the doubt to Dr. Dobson. Mr. Rodgers suggested that, perhaps, they have his foundation mixed up with a website called "We are family" which supports gay youth.

Hellfire and damnation no, says Dr. Dobson's assistant, Paul Batura. "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids. It is a classic bait and switch." sayeth he.

Dr. Dobson, keep your focus off of my family. If I want to "brainwash" my child into loving his neighbour, I'll do so.

And leave Spongebob out of this.


No comments: