Monday, September 26, 2005

Mark your calendar

Today I have officially become a cranky thirty-mumblemumble year old bitch, at least in terms with my relationship with my Alma Mater.

I graduated from Queen's in 1992 with a Bachelor of Nursing Science. I have always been very proud of that accomplishment, even as my nursing career has gone on hiatus in order to attend to the needs of my family.

In those days, tuition wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now, but it still cost a good deal of money to attend Queen's. I worked my butt off, scrubbing toilets and pulling night shifts for a home health care agency to put myself through school. I also studied like a maniac and earned a few scholarships along the way. I have always been grateful for the alumni donations which helped to offset the cost of my degree, and had vowed to return the favour whenever possible.

I've changed my mind. Today, the Queen's sticker is coming off of my car. The actions of a few thousand Queen's students and their friends at Homecoming this past weekend have resulted in the immediate cessation of all financial support from this shamed alumna. Sure, there were a few parties in the ghetto in my day. I didn't have time for that - see previous descriptions of working and studying. But throwing beer bottles at the police? Flipping a car over and then setting it on fire? Blaming the police presence for the mob violence?? These are tomorrow's leaders?? Not on my dime, they aren't.

No comments: