Friday, July 02, 2004

Thank you, State Troopers!

Troopers to be out in force on I-81

I've been driving for many years now. Thanks to Young Drivers of Canada, I usually feel confident in my defensive driving skills. A few years of driving in Italy sharpened those skills and boosted said confidence.

However, in the last few months, I've become more nervous when driving around here. Perhaps it's because certain young "Fast and furious" wannabes have adopted the stretch of road in front of my house as their personal racetracks - a proving ground for their souped up Neons and Mustangs. One such twenty year old "gentleman" was arrested last week, just down the road from here, with a BAC of 0.10. I wonder if he was the kind soul who threw the Coors Light cans onto my lawn that night. He will answer to the charges in Pamelia Town Court on July 15th. I hope that the punishment will be severe. It's not (just) that I'm a vindictive woman. My hope is that this doesn't happen again.

This holiday weekend, NY State Troopers will be out in full force on I-81. It won't be fun for them. I'm sure it will be hot and muggy. I'm sure our police officers will have to endure outrageous episodes of verbal abuse from the members of the "Let's drive like idiots club, NNY Chapter." I am grateful to each and every one of those who serve and protect.

No comments: